Lake Superior Writers is for everyone who cares about literature and writing
LSW is one of the largest and most active literary organizations in our area, and we are delighted to have you join or renew your membership with us. Together, we can help the literary arts to flourish! As an organization, Lake Superior Writers works to foster writing communities, provide an audience for literature, and further the artistic development of writers through workshops, readings, and publications.
We hope you will actively participate in upcoming LSW programs and activities, including classes, workshops, writing groups, the monthly Square Table discussion group, an annual writing contest, readings, and more.
We keep members informed about events through the monthly online newsletter NorthWords and our Facebook page. Each month, you’ll receive an email when we post our newsletter on our website, and you’re invited to contribute your news.
You can pay online (see below), or if you prefer to mail in your membership, download a printable form here:
However you pay, please be sure to give us your mailing address and email address so we can acknowledge your gift, put you on the newsletter list and invite you to events!
- NorthWords. Members receive a monthly e-mail calendar of literary/artistic events and notifications of LSW-sponsored events.
- Editing Program. Do you have a manuscript near completion? Are you interested in receiving assistance preparing it for a publisher or agent? Several well-qualified members of Lake Superior Writers (LSW) offer their services at affordable rates.
- Mentoring Program. Do you need a jumpstart on your writing? Help with shaping and envisioning your work? Are you most comfortable working with set deadlines? We have several well-qualified mentors who can help you.
- Opportunities to read your work publicly. Check the monthly calendar, the newsletter, or this Web site for opportunities designed to showcase the work of member writers.
- Writers’ Square Table. At 11:30 a.m. on the third Thursday of every month, writers meet for wide-ranging and interesting discussions on various aspects of writing. (Please check out the most current NorthWords newsletter on this site for location.) Topics have included shaping a story, characterization, setting, tone, voice, person, and metaphor. All are welcome. Come when you can.
- Writing Groups. We have writing groups in creative nonfiction, fiction, memoir, mystery, children’s literature, and other genres. LSW will assist members who are interested in starting new groups. Join a group and connect with other literary-minded people. (Check out the latest issue of NorthWords for a listing of open writing groups.)
- Discounts on Classes, Workshops, and Events. Members receive reduced entry fees to LSW workshops and special events. These opportunities can inspire and help writers in the development of craft.
Annual Membership Dues
Join Lake Superior Writers or renew your membership! The organization, funded through membership dues, donations, and grants, is a nonprofit corporation with 501©3 status. Donations to Lake Superior Writers are tax-deductible. The fiscal year and annual membership period extends from July 1 through June 30 of the following year. Membership levels begin at $35.
Short Story: $100