Lake Superior Writers was an outgrowth of the Depot Outreach Program of the mid-1990s. When Depot Outreach lost its funding, area writers worked together and filed to become Lake Superior Writers in 1998. We are a 501(c)3 organization.
Lake Superior Writers has approximately 200 members throughout northeastern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, the Twin Cities and Michigan’s Upper Penninsula. Members range from professional writers to individuals who are new to creative writing.
2020-2021 LSW Program Highlights:
- New workshops and panels, with October kicking off an exciting new program year. Check out our events tab! Even more exciting events are planned for 2021, so check back often.
- In response to the pandemic, LSW has launched a new online open mic night, Superior Shares.
- The LSW Blog is ready for your ideas and creative energy!
- The annual LSW Writing Contest.
Ongoing LSW activities include:
- LSW’s monthly online newsletter NorthWords offers news about regional literary happenings, including publications, readings, contests, and opportunities.
- Sponsorships of the St. Louis County Jail poetry workshops, Northeastern Minnesota Book Awards, and the Duluth Poet Laureate Program.
Benefits include free or reduced prices for our workshops, attendance at monthly open writing groups, subscription and free listings in our online newsletter, and an invitation to LSW’s annual meeting and contest reading. The newsletter includes information about upcoming events such as workshops, conferences, contests, readings and publication launches, news about our members, information about our writing groups, and opportunities for submitting new work.
Memberships start at $35/year.