Lake Superior Writers was an outgrowth of the Depot Outreach Program of the mid-1990s. When Depot Outreach lost its funding, area writers worked together and filed to become Lake Superior Writers in 1998. We are a 501(c)3 organization.
Lake Superior Writers has approximately 200 members throughout northeastern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, the Twin Cities and Michigan’s Upper Penninsula. Members range from professional writers to individuals who are new to creative writing.
New look, new energy – In 2017-2018, we worked on building our board, rebranding, improving our social media presence, and launching some new initiatives to expand our outreach to the writing community.
2017-2018 LSW Program Highlights:
- Three free Panel Discussions focused on getting published in literary journals, writing for money, and grants for writers.
- Jan Chronister taught two Poetry Workshops.
- A new monthly LSW Podcast features interviews with authors (find it at lakesuperiorwriters.org).
- The annual LSW Writing Contest will culminate in a reading by contest winners on May 19 at 3 p.m., with Newberry Award-winning author Margi Preus as our speaker.
- A Fiction Writing Workshop by William Kent Krueger on May 24.
Ongoing LSW activities include:
- Our Writers Café is held every second Saturday at Perk Place, Duluth, 9-11 a.m.
- LSW’s monthly online newsletter NorthWords offers news about regional literary happenings, including publications, readings, contests, and opportunities.
- Monthly Open Groups include a Memoir Writing Group, Writers Square Table, and the Third Wednesday Writing Group.
- Sponsorships of the St. Louis County Jail poetry workshops, Northeastern Minnesota Book Awards, and the Duluth Poet Laureate Program.
Benefits include free or reduced prices for our workshops, attendance at monthly open writing groups, subscription and free listings in our online newsletter, and an invitation to LSW’s annual meeting and contest reading. The newsletter includes information about upcoming events such as workshops, conferences, contests, readings and publication launches, news about our members, information about our writing groups, and opportunities for submitting new work.
Memberships start at $35/year.