The Manuscript Swap is for authors with completed, unpublished novel-length manuscripts who are willing to review someone else’s novel-length manuscript in exchange for feedback on their own. It’s peer-to-peer feedback, hosted by Lake Superior Writers (LSW). This program is designed to connect local authors with serious, positive feedback from another local writer on an unpublished manuscript. Note that this program is not a good fit for authors seeking professional editing or proofreading services.
How it works:
Meet at LSW’s office (Sister Cities office in the Exchange building) on Saturday, September 8 at 1pm. (Note updated date.) Bring a printed copy of your manuscript. We’ll match you with another person who’s completed a manuscript in a similar genre, or of similar length. You’ll swap manuscripts, read each other’s and provide feedback via a worksheet of questions provided by LSW. You’ll then meet again at our Feedback Party at LSW’s office on Saturday, November 17 at 1pm and exchange feedback.
Rules of the game:
- You MUST bring a completed, printed and bound novel manuscript. No outlines. No exceptions.
- On your cover sheet please state the word count and genre for your work.
- It will cost $10 to participate. Please bring cash or check, made out to Lake Superior Writers.
- The manuscript should be between 60,000 – 90,000 words. If your work is longer, you may bring a selection of your novel that fits the word count requirements. You should also include a summary (no longer than one page) of the portion that’s been cut.
- Your manuscript must be printed and in-hand when you attend the swap. Size 12 font, double spaced, preferably bound somehow, such as in a three-ring binder.
- Attendance is mandatory at both the swap and the feedback party. If you are unable to make one date/time, then you will not be able to participate in this round. Based on popularity, LSW may host another Manuscript Swap in the spring.
- Bring a list of questions (no more than five) that you specifically want your reader to answer. LSW will also provide a list of questions that all readers will need to answer, but this is your opportunity to ask questions specific to your novel.
- You must read the novel you recieve at the manuscript swap, with intention, and give thoughtful feedback to the best of your ability. It is not your responsibility to proofread or edit the manuscript.
- If you do not a) attend the feedback session and b) come prepared with feedback on another person’s novel then a) you will not receive feedback on your own novel and b) you will be prevented from participating in future manuscript swaps hosted by LSW.
- You must be a current LSW member to participate.
- Fine print: Lake Superior Writers is hosting the manuscript swap to provide its members with an opportunity to receive feedback on their novel-length manuscripts from their peers. LSW does not endorse feedback received. This program is not a good fit for authors seeking professional editing or proofreading services.
- Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.