Manuscript Swap 2019
The Manuscript Swap is for authors with unpublished partial or full novel-length manuscripts who are willing to review someone else’s novel-length manuscript in exchange for feedback on their own.
It’s peer-to-peer feedback, hosted by Lake Superior Writers (LSW).
This program is designed to connect local authors with serious, positive feedback from another local writer on an unpublished manuscript. Note that this program is not a good fit for authors seeking professional editing or proofreading services.
How it works:
Meet at Caribou Coffee in Canal Park on Saturday, October 5 at 3 pm. Bring a printed copy of your manuscript. We’ll match you with another person who’s completed a manuscript in a similar genre, or of similar length. You’ll swap manuscripts, read each other’s and provide feedback via a worksheet of questions provided by LSW. You’ll then meet again for a Feedback Party at a place of our choosing on Saturday, November 23 at 3 pm and exchange feedback.
Rules of the Swap:
- You must bring a completed and printed novel manuscript or consecutive portion of your manuscript. No outlines. No exceptions. Please consider putting the manuscript in a 3 ring binder.
- On your cover sheet please state the word count and genre for your work.
- It will cost $10 to participate. Please bring cash or check, made out to Lake Superior Writers.
- The manuscript should be between 40,000 – 80,000 words. (Note: These guidelines have been adjusted since last year). If your work is longer, you may bring a selection of your novel that fits the word count requirements. You should also include a summary (no longer than one page) of the portion that’s been cut.
- If you bring a portion of your manuscript because the entire manuscript isn’t yet finished that’s alright, but the minimum of 40,000 words should be a consecutive chunk (not jump around between different parts) and a summary should be provided to give context for the rest of the work (even if it’s still in idea-phase).
- Your manuscript must be printed and in-hand when you attend the swap. Size 12 font, double spaced, preferably bound somehow, such as in a three-ring binder.
- Attendance is mandatory at both the swap and the feedback party. If you are unable to make one date/time, then you will not be able to participate in this round.
- Bring a list of questions (no more than five) that you specifically want your reader to answer. LSW will also provide a list of questions that all readers will need to answer, but this is your opportunity to ask questions specific to your novel.
- You must read the novel you receive at the manuscript swap, with intention, and give thoughtful feedback to the best of your ability. It is not your responsibility to proofread or edit the manuscript.
- If you do not a) attend the feedback session and b) come prepared with feedback on another person’s novel then a) you will not receive feedback on your own novel and b) you will be prevented from participating in future manuscript swaps hosted by LSW.
- We respectfully request that participant join Lake Superior Writers or be a current member. Membership information available here.
- Fine print: Lake Superior Writers is hosting the manuscript swap to provide its members with an opportunity to receive feedback on their novel-length manuscripts from their peers. LSW does not endorse feedback received. This program is not a good fit for authors seeking professional editing or proofreading services.
Questions? Email email@example.com.