Call for Submissions
Lake Superior Writers is accepting entries in multiple genres for our annual writing contest. Categories include: Poetry, Short-Short Fiction (up to 500 words), Short Story (1,500-5,000 words), and Creative Nonfiction (1,500-5,000 words). Writers may submit in more than one category but can win in only one. One winner in each category will receive a prize of $250 and publication on the Lake Superior Writers website.
The 2017 theme is “Rivers: Mapped and Unmapped.” We are looking for submissions that use the theme of rivers, real or metaphorical. Writers have written about rivers as a metaphor for time, history, lifeblood and more. What will rivers, or a specific river, evoke in your writing? In her song River, Joni Mitchell wrote, “I wish I had a river I could skate away on.” What do rivers mean to you?
The LSW Writing Contest is open to adults (age 18 and older), and is free to current members of Lake Superior Writers. The contest is not open to LSW Board members, the LSW Administrator, or 2017 contest judges.
LSW Membership Fee: If you are not a member of LSW, or if your membership has lapsed, you must join or renew for $35 online with your credit card or PayPal account. Annual membership benefits include the LSW monthly newsletter “NorthWords,” reduced fees for workshops/classes, and invitations to LSW events.
RULES FOR SUBMISSIONS
- Manuscripts must be original and unpublished (including on personal blogs).
- You may make more than one submission in each category as follows: Poetry (submit up to three poems), Short-Short Fiction (500 words, submit up to two stories), Short Story (1,500-5,000 words, submit up to two stories), and Creative Nonfiction (1,500-5,000 words, submit up to two pieces).
- Submissions should be formatted in 12-point font, double-spaced.
- Your name MUST NOT appear on your manuscript.
- No simultaneous submissions. All stories will be read by a panel of judges.
- The subject line in your email should read Contest 2017. In the email message, include Your Name, Email Address, Home Address and Phone Number, Title(s) of Submitted Piece(s), Genre, and Word Count.
- Save your submissions in .doc or .docx, and attach them to your email message. Your attachment must be identified ONLY by the title of your submission. DO NOT include your name in the title of your document, or in the document itself.
- Only email submissions will be accepted. Email your submissions to email@example.com.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: April 1, 2017
READING AT THE 2017 ANNUAL MEETING. Winners will be asked to read an excerpt from their work at Lake Superior Writers Annual Meeting on May 21, 2017. If you have questions, please contact Maddie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org.