A celebration of uncertainty
Call for Submissions
Lake Superior Writers 2020 Writing Contest
Lake Superior Writers is accepting entries in multiple genres for our annual writing contest. Categories include: Poetry (up to 3 poems), Short-Short Fiction (1 or 2 submissions of up to 500 words), Short Fiction (a single submission of 1,500-5,000 words), and Creative Nonfiction (a single submission of 1,500-5,000 words). One winner in each category will receive a prize of $250 and publication on the Lake Superior Writers website.
The theme is Undecided. We are looking for submissions that explore this theme, and writers can interpret it as broadly as they wish. You might write about the tension found in everyday choices or the profound struggles that shape the world or anything in between.
GUIDELINES: The LSW Writing Contest is open to adults (age 18 and older) and free to current members of Lake Superior Writers.
If you are not a member of Lake Superior Writers, or if your membership has lapsed, the contest submission fee is $35. If you have any questions about your membership status, email us at email@example.com. You can pay the submission fee here, with your credit card or PayPal account. Membership benefits include the LSW monthly newsletter “NorthWords,” reduced fees for workshops/classes, and invitations to special LSW events.
Manuscripts must be original and unpublished, including on personal blogs. We are only accepting email submissions. Stories should be formatted in 12-point font, double-spaced. Your name MUST NOT appear on your manuscript. (See details below.) All stories will be read by a panel of judges. Submissions that do not comply with submission and formatting requests will not be considered.
DEADLINE: April 3, 2020. Winners will be notified by May 4, 2020.
- The email subject line should read Contest 2020.
- In the email message, include Your Name, Email Address, Home Address, and Phone Number, Title(s) of Submitted Piece(s), Genre, and Word Count.
- Save your submissions in .doc or .docx, and attach them to your email message. Your attachment must be identified ONLY by the titles of your submission. DO NOT include your name in the title of your document, or in the document itself.
- Email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a confirmation email within 72 hours of submitting your entry.
- Submissions that do not comply with submission and formatting requests will not be considered.
READING AT THE 2020 ANNUAL MEETING: Winners will be asked to read an excerpt from their work at the Lake Superior Writers Annual Meeting in May. If you have questions, please contact Brooks Johnson at email@example.com.